CMO 119: What's Next?
Done!
I originally began writing this on Wednesday, 08/19/26.
Today is day five,
post CANO Awards. I have begun what I said I would do on Tuesday 08/18/26—reduce
spending, terminate unnecessary work accounts, and seek new revenue sources.
Next up is
generating a plan to move forward with. Here is what I did this morning..
I went through the Visa statement and cancelled the following accounts:
1.
Zoom
(Reinstated until the end of 2026).
2. Wix (Website)
3. YouTube Premium (Reinstated until the end
of 2026).
4. Experian
5. Microsoft CoPilot
6. RIPL
7. OpenArt
8. HappyHorse
9. DropBox
10. Poster My Wall
Savings: $221.37
per month
I still have a way to go to bring these monthly expenditures down to an affordable amount. I am giving up on business but not the "Matthew Phillip Andrew Foundation."
Speaking of “burn a debt!” (Laura’s joke), I need to
reimburse Bernadette the amount borrowed to file for an LLC. I also need to
submit notification that I may be vacating the office space as well. That, I have not decided on yet.
This morning (Thursday, 08/20/26), I
reinstated both the Zoom and YouTube Premium accounts just in case I decide to
continue podcasting. However, if I fail to produce any shows between now and
the end of this year, I will cancel those two accounts permanently.
My friend offered
a hug yesterday morning. My head and emotions were in a strange way. I declined. I said, “I am getting out of the hugging
business!”
Did I really mean
that? No, I did not. It is just how I feel at the moment. It won’t last. My
faith is greater than my broken heart and these wayward emotions.
I miss my son
(Matthew). This coming Tuesday (08/25/26), it will be three weeks since he left
for the assisted living facility. I wonder if he truly understood the decision
he had made. Hard to say with his autism, intellectual disability, and
schizophrenia.
I am at peace but
the hurt in my heart is real. I am currently listening to Gregorian Chant on
Matthew’s Alexa Echo Dot which I managed to program this morning. I am glad
that it is working.
So, where do I go
from here?
Honestly, I don’t
know. I will continue to pray for guidance. I believe that God is with me
although I do need to avail myself to the Sacrament of Reconciliation
(confession).
I truly dislike sinning.
The priest at the
local parish responded to Tuesday’s text message regarding confession. He can
hear my confession on Thursday, or I can schedule an appointment to meet with
him.
Thank God for
that.
Update: I made it to confession and reconciliation. Thank God for His Church and the sacraments.
If the situation
remains as it is, I believe I will use this time blessed to me to pray, study,
write, read, learn, and lose weight. Lord knows it’s about time that I do that.
I also need to get a handle on the finances. The situation is spiraling out of
control.
Trust! I must do
my part, but I will also trust in the Lord. He is all that I have.
Let’s move on …
>
__
Act I. Scene I.
Question: If your
life were a stage play, how would it begin and why?
Answer: I would
start where I currently am in life while populating the story line with
flashbacks to the past. The play would open with me as I would be found sitting
in my bedroom at my desk just before bed, writing my thoughts in a journal.
Why: Because I
like reading stories that are written in journal format—where the writer is
sharing his or her thoughts; sharing their story. I enjoy reading about how
other people live (or lived). What their life adventures were like and how
closely their life resembles my own.
However, that is a
story for another time.
Let’s move on …
>
--
How about a short story?
"For twenty-two years, James Sedgewick walked past the Whitaker House and told himself there was nothing to it. Just a rotting Victorian on the edge of town, full of dust and old stories.
Then he took a bet to spend ten minutes inside after dark.
What he found wasn't raccoons. It was a cold that didn't belong to October, an armchair that was still warm, small bare footprints in the dust that stopped at the top of the stairs, and a message written for him alone.
Some houses are empty. Some are waiting.
This is the journal of the night James went in -- and what followed him out.
October 21st
Martha from the
hardware store finally talked me into it.
She said,
"James, you've lived here twenty-two years and never set foot in the
Whitaker House?"
Of course I've set
foot near it. Everyone has. It's on the edge of town past the old mill, paint
peeling off like sunburnt skin, windows blind with dust. Kids dare each other
to touch the front porch rail. For fifty years it's been "the haunted house."
I always figured haunted meant poorly insulated and full of raccoons.
Martha bet me a
coffee I wouldn't last ten minutes inside after dark. So tomorrow night, 8 PM,
I'm going. She has the key - her cousin is the estate agent. I told her to keep
her dollar coffee hot for me. I'm bringing this journal and a flashlight. More for
the raccoons than the ghosts.
October 22nd -
11:14 PM
I'm writing this
at my kitchen table and my hand won't stop shaking, so forgive the writing.
It was not ten
minutes. I was inside for an hour and seventeen minutes. I know because I
checked my watch when I went in and when I came out.
The house is
colder inside than it should be. That's the first thing. Outside was 58 degrees
tonight. Inside was like a meat locker. My breath fogged. No broken windows to
explain it.
The layout is
simple downstairs. Entry, parlor to the left, dining room to the right, kitchen
in back, stairs straight ahead. Nothing strange, just rotten. Wallpaper hanging
in strips, floorboards soft. I called out "Hello?" feeling stupid. No
raccoons.
I went to the
parlor first. There's a fireplace in there, big stone one, and an armchair that
someone left behind. It faces the fireplace. The strange part was the dust.
Everything in the house is thick with it, gray and even. Except that chair. The
seat of that chair was clean. Not recently cleaned, but... indented. As if
someone had just stood up.
I told myself that
was Martha trying to scare me and I laughed out loud. The laugh sounded wrong
in that cold.
I sat down in it.
I don't know why. Stubbornness, I suppose.
And it was warm.
Not residual
warmth. Living warmth, like someone else's body heat was still in the cushion.
I shot up so fast I knocked the flashlight off the arm.
That's when I
heard the upstairs. Footsteps. Slow, deliberate. One room to another, directly
above me. Thump. Thump. Thump. Then stopping right over the stairs.
"Hello?"
I called again. No answer.
I should have left
then. The bet was only ten minutes and I had done that. But I felt insulted,
somehow. If Martha had someone upstairs to prank me, I wasn't going to give her
the satisfaction of running.
So I went
upstairs.
The second floor
is three bedrooms and a bath, all empty. The hallway runner is still there,
faded red. The footsteps had stopped, but in the dust on that runner there was
a trail. Bare footprints. Small ones, maybe a child's. Coming out of the far
bedroom and stopping at the top of the stairs. Just standing there.
I followed them
back into the far bedroom. Empty. Closet open. Window shut. But the air in that
room was different. It smelled like... laundry soap and woodsmoke. In a house
that has smelled like mold for thirty years.
And on the far
wall, someone had written in the dust. Not with a finger. The letters were too
even, too small, like they were breathed onto the surface and then wiped away.
It said: SIT BACK
DOWN
I didn't. I ran.
I didn't stop
until I was halfway down Main Street. I left Martha's key on her doorstep. She
can get it in the morning.
I am not going
back for my flashlight.
October 23rd -
Morning
I didn't sleep.
I kept thinking
about the chair. About how the warmth wasn't just warm, it was comfortable.
Like the chair had been waiting.
I went to the
library this morning when it opened. Old Mrs. Albright was there. I asked her
about the Whitaker House, who lived there last.
She said,
"Oh, old Mr. Whitaker and his wife. Their little girl died in there, you
know. Pneumonia. Winter of '71. He sat in that parlor chair for two years
after, waiting for her to come downstairs. Just sat there."
I didn't ask her
how she knew about the chair.
Martha came by.
She said she never went inside to set anything up, that the footprints have
been there for years. She said she lost the bet, coffee's on her.
I told her to keep
it.
Until next time ...



Wow Brother!! That short story was great and reminded me of going into an abandoned house and I don't believe that house was haunted.
ReplyDeleteI can't begin to imagine all that you are dealing with but I am always here to listen and to pray for you brother!!
I really have enjoyed your short story and look forward to your next addition. You have always had a great knack for writing. As I have told you, you need to package all of them up together into a book.....would make for a great collection of short stories.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mark. I have thought about doing just that, packaging the stories up but not sure they will really mean anything beyond me. It's akin to collecting Disney pins. Why do I do it when I cannot possibly wear them all? Because I enjoy it. The same thing with writing except that I write not with the intention of publishing for public consumption. As least, not after the four books I wrote did not do well. However, I do appreciate your comments and thank you for reading today's short story.
Delete