CMO 118: Broken Compass
"Everything Will Be Okay!"
This
is more of rhetorical question. I am not really seeking an answer. Why is it
when someone is hurting, depressed, angry, or just plain broken, we say to that
person, “It will be okay. Everything will turn out okay in the end. You just
gotta have faith.”
Don’t get me wrong, I understand the person expressing the words care, otherwise they wouldn’t waste their time attempting to console the individual in question.
First, just because one is as I described above, especially a person of faith who has suddenly lost their faith because of how they are feeling. Faith is still within them. Sure, they may buckle under the weight of the event, experience, or tragedy. They might even be angry with God, I know I was yesterday, but in the end, most of us who are people of faith will return or hang onto that faith.
I responded the same way when it came to my son.
There were days when the episodes he experienced due to ASD, Intellectual Disability, and Schizophrenia were off the chart. I would do my best to console my son before son, “Everything will be okay.” His response, “No, it won’t (be okay). How do you know (it will be okay?”).
Great question.
How do I know what I don’t know?
I meant it. I was attempting to console my son through his episode because I could see how much the mental illness or voices were tormenting him.
But I was wrong to say that to him because I did not know if he was going to be okay.
That is where I was yesterday.
My son opted for an assisted living facility after walking this schizophrenic journey with him for over two years; four if you count 2021 and 2022 when this daggum illness of the mind first manifested itself.
I was so heartbroken and angry, I felt that I could not be consoled…and yet, there came the comments, “Don’t worry, everything will be, okay?”
Only one individual the following day had the courage to ask, “Are you okay?”
Not “everything will be okay,” but “…are you okay?”
What a difference those words meant for me.
I responded back, “Wow! Thank you for asking me. No, I am not okay. I am heartbroken and angry…. but I will be okay.”
I am grateful to all who reached out and shared their love, prayers, and friendship. I truly am. But I am also grateful that someone asked if I was okay—because I am not (at the moment) but I will be.


Comments
Post a Comment