CMO 106: Post-Christmas Message

 



Let’s Coffee Break!

Hello, Friends!

You might notice that today’s “Let’s Coffee Break Daily” has a fresh new header. This morning, I thought, “Why not try something different?” After all, it’s the day after Christmas. The light from the Lord, which broke through the darkness, is just two days old—so let’s embrace it! We could all use a little encouragement and hope right now. That’s the story behind the change.

--

Christmas Morning

My Christmas morning Mass at St. Thomas More in Tulsa was truly unforgettable. Before the service started, I strolled around the “Our Lady De Los Lagos” Shrine—though I haven’t yet stepped inside, the peaceful grounds set the tone for the day. I joined fellow musicians to fine-tune our voices, guided by our amazing Choir Director for the special Christmas music. One of the highlights was meeting Deacon Ken, whose “Saintly Sips” reflections always inspire the congregation through the bulletin, newsletter, and parish website. He greeted me warmly with a hug, and soon after, Fr. Robert Healey also welcomed me with a heartfelt “Merry Christmas” and another meaningful hug. Those moments felt like embracing the Lord Himself—far more meaningful to me than just a handshake, though I always honor each person’s preference.

I was also blessed with hugs from many beloved St. Thomas More family members, including Christopher, Laura, Janet, Rose, Leda, and, of course, “The Sally Sisters” whenever they are nearby. This joyful morning was filled with warmth, fellowship, and the spirit of Christmas, making it truly special.

--

Santa Claus

I've mentioned on previous shows and blog posts about the age-old question: “What do you get when you stop believing in Santa Claus?” First, let me make it clear—believing in Jesus is infinitely better than Santa Claus, because following the Lord brings the promise of eternal love with Him, the Father Creator, and the Holy Spirit. Still, the classic answer to the Santa Claus question is that you get “underwear” when you stop believing, which is perfectly fine by me! I’m one of those quirky folks who enjoy receiving underwear, bowties, ties, white rugby shorts, and dress shirts for Christmas. And guess what? This year, I was blessed with brand new underwear. Woo Hoo! God never disappoints.

It’s the small, simple gifts that mean the most to me—like the thoughtful greeting cards, or the adorable miniature red coffee mug with whipped cream, a snowman, a Christmas tree, and a red-dotted straw that my friend Laura gave me. These little gestures warm my heart and remind me how much I love my parish family.

--

Great News!

I must admit, this morning I woke up with a wounded heart for personal reasons. I mean, I was really hurting. Crying inside if you will. I went about my daily post-Christmas tasks trying not to give too much attention to the noise my heart was making when suddenly, a person I was not expecting to hear from until Monday—you know, it being Christmas and all—called and shared some great news with me about my “Tweetness!” Oh, for those of you not in the know, “Tweetness” is my favorite nickname for my middle son, Matthew. This precious adult son was diagnosed with “schizophrenia” in May 2024. It first hit him in 2021, but we didn’t know what it was until 2024. Anyway, according to the call I received this morning, he is making great improvement. My heart just blew up with happiness and joy when I heard the report. Hopefully that means he will be home soon. I appreciate all the prayers that have been sent to Heaven on his behalf.

--

January Sunday Mass Schedule (For those interested):

1             Solemnity of Mary, The Mother of God

                “He was named Jesus…”

 

4             The Epiphany of the Lord

                “They prostrated themselves and did him homage.”

 

11          The Baptism of the Lord

                “The is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

 

18          2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

                “Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.”

 

25          3rd Sunday In Ordinary Time

                “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

--

Aging Aches!

It seems the passage of time is finally catching up with me. I used to take two baths a day—once in the morning and again before bed—but now, I’m down to just one. Getting ready in the morning, which was once effortless, has become a bit of a task. Sunspots are beginning to speckle my face like chocolate chips scattered on a cookie, and I have more wrinkles than California has fault lines. My joints and muscles creak like old doors in a haunted house. Yet, despite all of this, I wouldn’t trade these experiences for anything. Every day, I thank God for both my blessings and my aches and pains. These aches give me something to offer to Christ for those most in need, and in doing so, I find myself blessed even more.

--

2026 CANO Nominations

Please remember, if you’ve been chosen to submit a nomination for the 2026 Carlos Michael Teresa-Rogers Good Neighbor CANO Awards, the registration window opens on January 1, 2026, and closes on February 28, 2026. We eagerly anticipate receiving your nomination for this year’s awards.

Until next time. Have a blessed today!

Carlos Michael


Comments

  1. That is such GREAT NEWS concerning Matthew.....and praying he continues to get better. Tell me about aches and pains.....I hear you and certainly understand. I enjoyed reading about your Christmas thoughts. Wishing you a belated Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your Christmas was amazing and I am glad to hear that brother. I like you prefer hugs because they make my day. 🤗🤗

    Glad that you got a lot of nice things for Christmas that made you smile. You are definitely a blessed man and bring blessings to others!!

    I know what you mean about the aches and pains of aging. I am grateful that I can offer my aches and pains for helping others. God blesses me everyday!!

    I am so very happy to hear that Matthew is doing so well and he will be coming home soon. I will definitely continue to pray for both of you!!

    God Bless You brother!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CMO 121: In The Fog But Not Lost.

CMO 112: Short Story: The Journal and the Esay: A short story about friendship, humility, and service.

CMO 103: "The Christmas Joshua Found Again"