CMO 100: What The Call Means

 


On Monday afternoon, while chatting with a friend on Facebook, I shared how important it is to shift my focus away from myself and toward the work I’m meant to do. I’m not sure if my friend truly grasps the depth of that idea—and honestly, I’m not sure I do either. Curious about its meaning in the Catholic Tradition, I asked Copilot to explain what it means to think less of ourselves and more about God, our neighbors, and the mission we’ve been given, as well as how to live out that calling. Here’s the response I got.

--

In Catholic spirituality “thinking less of yourself” isn’t about self‑hatred; it’s about shifting the center of your life from ego‑driven wants to the greater reality of God’s love and the needs of others.

What the call means

  • God first – The first commandment (Deut 5:7) and Jesus’ summary of the law (Matt 22:37) tell us to love God with our whole heart, mind, and soul. When your thoughts are anchored in God, your desires line up with His will rather than with personal ambition or fear.
  • Neighbor as self – The second great commandment (Matt 22:39) asks you to see the other person as a reflection of Christ. “Thinking less of yourself” creates space to notice the suffering, gifts, and dignity of those around you.
  • Mission as vocation – The Church teaches that each baptized person receives a personal vocation (marriage, single life, ordained ministry, religious life, etc.) and a mission to share the Gospel in the concrete circumstances of daily life (see Catechism of the Catholic Church § 2253‑2254). Your mission is the way God calls you to serve the Kingdom.

How to live that out

  1. Prayer & discernment – Start each day with a brief prayer (e.g., “Lord, help me see what you see and love what you love”). Use the Ignatian “examen” at night to notice where you were self‑centered and where you were open to God’s prompting.
  2. Self‑examination – Regularly ask: What am I doing for the sake of my own reputation? Where am I overlooking a need or a person? Write down any patterns that emerge; humility is the first step toward change.

3. Acts of charity – Choose one concrete way each week to serve a neighbor—volunteering, listening, helping a coworker, or donating time/goods. The key is consistency, not grandeur.

4. Community feedback – Share your sense of mission with a trusted spiritual director, pastor, or small‑group leader. Their perspective can keep you grounded and help you adjust when the path shifts.

5. Embrace the “ordinary” – Most of a mission is lived in the mundane: being patient with family, honest at work, courteous to strangers. Offer those small sacrifices to God; they become the building blocks of a larger apostolate.

6. Stay rooted in the sacraments – Regular confession and the Eucharist renew your identity as a beloved child of God, freeing you from the grip of ego and empowering you to love more fully.

In short, “thinking less of yourself” means deliberately redirecting your thoughts from self‑interest to God’s love and the needs of others, and then cooperating with grace through prayer, humble service, and community accountability.

--

Here’s a quick “daily‑mission” checklist you can keep on a phone note or a sticky‑pad. It’s meant to be doable in 5‑10 minutes, but feel free to adapt the items to fit your own schedule and the people you see each day.

Morning (5 min)

  • Prayer / intention – “Lord, help me see what you see today.”
  • One‑sentence gratitude – Write down something you’re thankful for (it can be as simple as a cup of coffee).

During the day (pick 1‑2)

  • Listen first – When a colleague, family member, or friend talks, put the phone away and give them your full attention.
  • Small act of kindness – Offer a genuine compliment, hold a door, or bring a small treat for someone who looks stressed.

Evening (5 min)

  • Examen – Briefly review the day: Where did you put yourself first? Where did you notice the chance to serve?
  • Offer it up – Hand the day’s joys and challenges over to God, asking for the humility to keep growing.

Ideas for serving right where you are.

At Work                 

Ask a teammate how their project is going and if there is anything you can help with.

With Family            

Set aside 10 minutes after dinner for a phone call or a walk with a parent or sibling.

In Your Neighborhood

Pick up litter on your street or leave a friendly note on a neighbor’s door.

Online

Share a short, uplifting article or a prayer intention in a group chat you belong to.

At Mass

Volunteer to greet newcomers, help with the offertory, or simply smile and say “Welcome.”

Pick one or two of these that feel natural for you and let them become a habit. Over time, the checklist will help you shift the focus from “me” to “God, neighbor, and mission.

--

Take it easy. Don’t stress.

That’s easier said than done. Imagine trying to manage things in my home, it’s a whirlwind. If it isn’t wrestling with anxious thoughts or feeling low, its computer issues crop up. And if it’s not that, there’s the challenge of being away from home too often, spending lots of time at church, overspending, not getting enough rest, or forgetting to set aside time for myself. Sometimes I work too hard; other times, I worry I’m not doing enough. I give away things I spent money on, wonder whether I own too much or too little, drift off during TV shows, attempt to launch a business solo, or take on events I probably shouldn’t. There are moments I question whether I give enough to church or volunteer enough, or if I’m connecting often with friends and family. I catch myself spending a lot of time writing, daydreaming, or—though not anymore—wishing on stars.

Then, just like that old Calgon commercial, I long for an escape—not to disappear entirely, but to be swept away to a peaceful cabin like Dan Haggerty’s in “The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams.” Realistically, unless I pay off my credit cards and find a way to earn more, I’m here for now. Still, I remind myself, it could always be worse.

Image of the Day.

"The Los!" ... Agent 61.
What is Agent 61s story? You will have to listen to the podcast which is currently in production. 
--
Closing.

Wow, I've devoted much more time to this entry than I originally planned. I keep encountering unexpected challenges and everyday distractions that test my patience. Still, none of these obstacles are so overwhelming that I can't make space in my heart for prayer, conversations with God, reflection, humility, mercy, forgiveness, and charity toward those I serve—even if I stumble from time to time. Above all, I strive to keep joy in my heart.

Until next time, God bless.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CMO 121: In The Fog But Not Lost.

CMO 112: Short Story: The Journal and the Esay: A short story about friendship, humility, and service.

CMO 103: "The Christmas Joshua Found Again"