CMO 92:

 


Listen on YouTube:

☕️Carlos’ Coffee Confessionals is your weekly cup of faith, laughter, and pew-side storytelling. From incense mishaps to bingo-night wisdom, Carlos brews up Catholic life with heart, humor, and a dash of powdered sugar. Because grace shows up—even in the crying room.

Welcome to today's pour of Coffee Break Catholic: Carlos’ Coffee Confessionals, where the brew is strong, the stories are honest, and faith always finds its way into the conversation. I’m Carlos—and this is Coffee Break Catholic: Carlos' Coffee Confessionals, a space where we pull up a chair, sip something warm, and talk about God, faith, tradition, and what happens between the pews and the parking lot.

Short Disclaimer (Podcast/Book/Live Events)

The views expressed in this podcast (or publication) are my own and do not speak on behalf of the Catholic Church, the Diocese of Tulsa, my parish, or my pastor. This content is created for entertainment and personal reflection by a practicing Roman Catholic who holds deep respect for the teachings, traditions, and authority of the Church. My goal is not to contradict the Magisterium or diminish our sacred faith, but to explore it with reverence, humor, and honesty.

☕️Episode 2: “Hush in the Holy House”

There’s a time to speak. And there’s a time to shush your spirit and let the silence speak back.

The house of God? That’s the latter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love community. I love casserole talk, I love catching up on how Sister Angela’s hip surgery went, and I especially love hearing about little Dominic’s science fair volcano.

Just not while Jesus is hanging out on the altar.

Somewhere along the way, we confused the vestibule with the sanctuary, and now Mass sounds like a potluck pregame. People walk in, genuflect with half a knee and a full mouth, wave across pews like they’re hailing a taxi cab, and then launch into a rousing rendition of "You’ll never believe what happened at Thursday’s Becoming Disciples gathering!"

I get it. Life’s busy. We’re excited to see each other. We need connection.

But reverence matters.

Because when you enter church, you’re not just entering a building—you’re stepping into sacred space. Eternal space. A thin place between Heaven and Earth. That’s not the time to unpack your weekend or describe your secret bean casserole technique.

That’s the time to pray. To kneel. To breathe deeply and remember who you're sitting in front of.

The sanctuary isn’t the church social hall. The pew isn't your dining booth at Denny’s. And the folks whispering prayers beside you? They’re not trying to eavesdrop—they’re trying to encounter God.

So, here’s my confession: I love a good chat. I really do. But I save it for after Mass. Out on the steps. In the parking lot. Maybe over coffee where we can actually laugh out loud without the echoes bouncing off stained glass or elderly blue-haired grandmas lying in wait ready to pound us with purses, umbrellas, or a hair sprayed wig.

When I come early to church, I am not there to catch up. I am there to settle down. To listen. To prepare.

Because if God is about to show up in the Blessed Sacrament, I want to be fully present. And if I am trying to hear His whisper, I don’t want it drowned out by someone’s detailed retelling of their green bean glory.

There’s joy in fellowship. But there’s grace in the hush. Let’s make room for both—just in the right order.

That’s today’s coffee confessional. I’ll see you next Sunday—polished shoes, grateful heart, and maybe even that old blazer that still fits in the shoulders. God loves a cheerful giver… and a well-pressed shirt.

Peace and blessings.

—Carlos




Comments

  1. I should not comment on my own post but since there are no comments, I will. I don't know which is worse, when a cell phone goes off or the elderly parishioner who is hard of hearing which is evident by the decibel level of his voice as he talks. Holy sheesh and earplugs! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CMO 121: In The Fog But Not Lost.

CMO 112: Short Story: The Journal and the Esay: A short story about friendship, humility, and service.

CMO 103: "The Christmas Joshua Found Again"