CMO74: It's Decision Time.

 

It's Decision Time!

It's incredible how much time I spend at my desk deliberating whether to produce a video blog, a podcast, or write a newsletter. I can't decide if the show should be less than 10 minutes, not more than fifteen, or 30 minutes.

I ponder on whether I should call it "Coffee Break w/Carlos Michael" or "CarlosMichael360" or...well, you get the gist. The point is that I need to stop overthinking this, make a decision, and just go with it.

I hold myself accountable. It does no good to blame anyone but myself. Having said that, I will say that I have allowed myself to be influenced by various opinions instead of following my heart. Everyone means well, I am sure, but the bottom line is thus -- this was meant to be a personal project to fill my retirement time in addition to leaving a footprint of my life journey for anyone interested, primarily family members.

But hey, whose complaining! I am not. I am just going to move forward as planned, share the Good News, the message of Divine Mercy and the First Saturday Devotion and have some fun.

Here is the breakdown: 

  1. Podcast: Coffee Break with Carlos Michael
  2. Blog: Carlos Michael Online
  3. Newsletter: Let's Coffee Break
  4. Journal: CarlosMichael360

"Let's Coffee Break!"


West Covina, California: Movie Theaters

Of all the cities across America that I could have grown up in, I am glad my home city is the city of West Covina, California. While I am certain that 2025 West Covina looks much differently than the city I remember between 1964 and 1989, the city of West Covina will always be the city of my childhood--and home.

Growing up in the 70s, one of the fun experiences I recall enjoying was taking in a movie with friends at one of the local movie theaters. Three locations come to mind, the Vineland Drive-In, the Covina walk in and the Wescove movie theater. I cannot begin to recall how many blockbuster movies I had the pleasure of watching with friends and family at the Wescove.

I can still picture in my mind walking to or having a parent drop us off just in front of the Wescove theater entrance. You could access it from two sides. According to the Cinema Treasures (.org) website, the actual name of the theater was Wescove Cine 1 and Cine 2. 

The theater opened on August 20, 1969 and closed April 5, 1997. That is a span of 28 years. Which means the theater opened when I was eight years old and closed when I was 36 years old. By that time I was no longer living in West Covina. The family and I had already been living 8 years in the high dessert and we were one year separated by the time the theater closed. Sadly, my former wife and I separated in August 1996.

I do not recall with the exception of the "The Towering Inferno" and "Earthquake" what movies I saw at the Wescove, but as the article states on the Cinema Treasures (.org) website, I do recall the dark lobby with the exception of the snack bar area and the ticket booth being located outside away from the main lobby. Great memory.

 Answer me this, Pop Ai Bot! 

How did the actors on the set of "Wagon Train" get along? (Cite references/sources)

The relationships among the actors on the set of "Wagon Train" were characterized by camaraderie and mutual respect, reflecting the show's themes of teamwork and survival in the American West. The series, which aired from 1957 to 1965, featured a rotating cast of characters, with prominent actors such as Ward Bond, John McIntire, and Robert Horton taking on leading roles.

Ward Bond, who played Major Seth Adams, was known for his strong leadership both on and off the screen. His sudden death in 1960 had a profound impact on the cast and crew, highlighting the close-knit nature of the group. Director John Ford, along with fellow actors Harry Carey Jr. and Ken Curtis, demonstrated their solidarity by attending Bond's funeral and supporting his family during their time of grief (source: INSP TV).

The dynamic between the actors was often described as familial. Robert Horton, who portrayed Flint McCullough, had a particularly strong rapport with Bond, despite their characters frequently clashing. Their on-screen arguments were often mirrored by a playful banter off-screen, showcasing a healthy professional relationship that contributed to the show's authenticity (source: Britannica).

John McIntire, who replaced Bond as the wagon master after his passing, brought a different leadership style to the set. His calm and steady demeanor fostered a supportive environment, allowing the cast to adapt to the changes while maintaining a sense of unity (source: INSP TV). The actors often shared stories and experiences, bonding over the challenges of filming in various locations and the demanding nature of their roles.

Moreover, the show's format, which featured numerous guest stars, allowed for a diverse array of interactions. Many guest actors returned to work on the series multiple times, further solidifying friendships and professional relationships within the cast (source: Classic TV History Blog).

In summary, the actors on the set of "Wagon Train" enjoyed a collaborative and supportive atmosphere, marked by strong friendships and a shared commitment to their craft. This camaraderie not only enhanced their performances but also contributed to the show's enduring legacy in American television history.


Q: "Carlos, what type of person are you?" 

I recently received an email from a reader in Southern California who wants to know "What type of person am I?" specifically with respect to politics, faith, fashion, sports etc. Let's just say the whole enchilada without the ghost peppers!

As I sat at my computer discerning how best to respond to this question, I thought to myself, "This question is rather vague. Let me follow up with TC and ask if he or she could provide a little more meat to the question so I have something to work with." 

TC responded back giving me what I needed to know in order to properly address this question. Here is my response to TC in letter format.

Dear TC:

Thanks for the question and the clarification. I also appreciate that you enjoy reading the blog and that you were happy to see that I am posting again. The reason I decided to start posting to the blog is simple...I want to leave something behind besides my journals and the "Coffee Break" shows that my children, grandchildren, future generations of family members or anyone else for that matter may want to read (like you) about a "no-name" person like me either because it is informative, entertaining, or both!

You bring up a good point. Something I have not thought about. What happens if "Blogger" shuts down and these blogs are no longer accessible? That is a really good question. I think for the sake of not losing anything, each time I write a post, I will copy and paste that post into a Word document that I can have printed into a book at the end of each year. Then again, what happens if the book becomes lost? Hmm, I haven't thought that far ahead.

Okay, to core of the your question(s).

I tend to view myself as a middle of the road type of man. With certain exceptions, I tend not to be extreme when it comes to living life. Too much in either direction (left or right) and you lose "the balance" that allows for coexistence. 

At least that is how I look at life.

I realize there will always be extremes: too cold or too hot, too much or too little, too left or too right. I am not the author of the story of life so some things are just out of my control. I am wise enough to know, although I would probably do a poor job of explaining His existence, that there is a God; a Creator; someone who has the ability to write the story that we have all been a part of since the beginning of time and the dawn of humanity, and humble enough to know that without this Creator, I can do nothing. However, with Him, I can do anything.

Did you notice how I used the word "humanity" instead of  "...the dawn of man!?" That is me trying to stay center focused.

When it comes to politics, I suppose I prefer to view myself as a "moderate" -- that is providing I am understanding the term "moderate" in its proper context. A master's degree in "Education" does not make me the "brightest crayon in the box!" (he writes, chuckling to himself).

I prefer to hear all sides of an issue, review the evidence, pray for guidance, and believe in the end, I will make the correct decision. I tend to vote as a matter of conscience that is sometimes "moderately" influenced by faith, wisdom, experience, or conviction.

I have learned over the years, including from my youngest son, that screaming, hollering, and arguing does nothing but create emotional chaos and tears asunder relationships that are meant to flourish. 

Of course, that is easier said than done when it comes to that "emotional" component in situations where the stress level is high, the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end and all you want to do is sucker punch the person you are listening to or arguing with. But truly, what does any of that settle?

Not trying to go "Jesus" on you TC, but the truth of the matter is that we can learn a lot from the Lord about how to be act in every day life by reading the New Testament.

I apologize, I am getting long-winded.

Back to your question ... I am middle of the road person. I enjoy helping others except when they can clearly do something for themselves but would rather be waited on. Ahem! 

As a species I realize we have tendency to label everything, something I do not necessarily care for, but let's just say that I prefer to view myself as "all persons attracted" rather than "same sex or bisexually" attracted because the implication is that I prefer to have "sex" with one or the other.

For me, the word "attracted" just means that I am attracted to the persons "heart"; the goodness of their soul; their laughter, the way they treat others [and themselves], their welcoming spirit, their kindness toward others, etcetera. Not meaning to be blunt but what they have in their nether region isn't important because "that area" does not define who they are. No more than their arms, legs, torso, neck, feet, toes, fingers, or head do.

It is their personality; the beauty of their soul that I find attractive and therefore I love both males and females. I love them because God loved them first--enough that they came into existence. That is a beautiful gift--life, I mean.

There are certain "aspects" of  life (if that is the correct word to use here), that I will not compromise on but am open to listening to an explanation rather than an argument from the other side.

For example, back during the mid to late 90s, I was changing following a workout at a local fitness center when my friend (who was sitting next to me) chuckled and asked, "Are you still wearing tighty-whities! Dude, you should try wearing boxer-briefs, they have the snug fit of briefs with the classic look of a boxer."

Of course, I looked at him and said, "Mind your business, you dork!"

However, being the open minded person that I am, I decided to give the "BBs" a try. On my way home, I stopped at the store and purchased a package of three Boxer Briefs. When I arrived home and tried a pair on, it did not take me but a moment to discern that those "BBs" are not for me. 

When I saw my friend the following week at the fitness center, I mentioned that I gave them a try but didn't care for them He looked at me, smiled and said, "At least you were open to trying a pair. Wear what you like Carlos. You always do."

I am glad that he came to his senses!

I need to wrap this up. Let's just say that I am middle of the road individual with certain exceptions who cares about everyone. I truly do. I walk in faith, love God with all my everything, and believe in the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.

I tend to dress business like or business casual preferring long sleeve dress shirts to short sleeves, bowties to regular ties, and have been combing my hair pretty much the same way since high school.

I enjoy food, friendship and fun. I love hanging out with friends, especially the ones with a sense of humor. I love to laugh. I believe I have a duty to be a GREAT neighbor whenever the opportunity calls for it not for myself, but because of love and the greater good.

I love learning and believe that everyone should have the right to an education. If you can have the collegiate experience, you should experience that as well.

If I have learned that I offended someone or have caused someone pain, I want to be the first to stand before them, acknowledge what I did wrong and ask forgiveness. I believe in mercy, charity, hope, and love. I try to learn from my mistakes (sometimes that takes a while), and prefer to examine my conscience daily on where I failed the day before and determine how I can do better the next day.

I want to be a saint but not for self glory or recognition. As long as it pleases God, than it pleases me.

I am a mess and my life did not turn out as planned. I made far too many mistakes, listened to too many of the wrong people and mistook selfish advances as love. Because of that TC, I was introduced to human sexuality at an age that no child should experience.

In short, TC, I am good. Life is good. I am in a good place and a good frame of mind. I am enjoying my retirement and what little good I can do for others. God continues to look after me, underserving that I am, and provide His blessings.

Let me close by stating that I am the type of person who will give the last that he has for the good of another because it is the right thing to do and for no other reason than love. I believe in God, I keep hope close to the chest, I enjoy laughter and friendship, prayer and my walk of faith. I enjoy a good movie, book, or a touching song (e.g., "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"). I enjoy, American, Italian and Mexican cuisine, people who aren't bossy, stuff shirts, or extreme or who nitpick at every little thing. I do not subscribe to the "I am too old to learn new things" mentality. That is just another way of saying, "I am stubborn" or "It's my way or the highway." Sometimes change makes me uncomfortable but I often view that as a good thing. What was (yesterday) wont' be (today) that won't be (tomorrow). See the good in it and work with that.

Blessings,





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CMO 121: In The Fog But Not Lost.

CMO 112: Short Story: The Journal and the Esay: A short story about friendship, humility, and service.

CMO 103: "The Christmas Joshua Found Again"