CMO 77: Good Neighborliness. Ugh!
The most challenging aspect of preaching the benefits or joys of good neighborliness, is practicing what you preach! Believe men when I say, "There are some neighbors [metaphorically speaking] that you would rather see move away in contrast to what I am really thinking [about certain neighbors].
Please keep in mind, by definition, EVERYONE is our neighbor, including family members whom I refer to as our first neighbors. And therein lies the challenge because sometimes those first neighbors can be a greater challenge than those button pushing neighbors who live in the neighborhood.
So, what is one to do?
Well, according to my priest, he says, "Do everything with love in the spirit of Christ. Be the face of Christ your neighbors see, especially when you are feeling challenged or your buttons are being pushed. That is when it really matters."
I can argue that logic but in the end I would be the putz because he is absolutely right.
Correct me if I am wrong but that does not mean you should let certain persons push your buttons to the point you forget that you are a Christian [...and they will know that we are Christians by our love...] and stop serving from a heart of love rather than anger.
I believe God in His infinite wisdom sometimes permits certain situations to occur in order to help make us better servants moving forward. We must remember that it is when we are challenged that we grow in strength, wisdom, and faith. We are showing those neighbors that we actually practice what we preach; that we say what we mean and mean what what we say.
We practice our beliefs through our actions rather than with words because in the end, that is all that really matters. Then again, what do I know?
Until next time ...
Carlos Michael

Comments
Post a Comment