CMO 63: Coach Mike Leach

 


Thursday, Dec. 15, 2022

Earlier in the week, I learned through Mark that Coach Mike Leach, head coach of the Mississippi State Bulldogs (SEC), and former head coach of the Texas Tex Red Raiders (Big XII), and Washington State Cougars (Pac 12), passed away from a massive heart attack. 

One day he was alive planning for the team's bowl appearance when "like that", he was gone. The worst part about his passing is that he was sixty-one years old--my age--well, in fourteen days if you count today.

Sixty-one!!!

I realize that the coach may have had some underlying health issues that we are not privy to, not to mention the stress that comes with coaching college football teams that may have contributed to his condition. However, having said that, the fact still remains that he passed away (suddenly) at age sixty-one.

His death, although I have been giving my life much thought recently, especially with the recent visit to the emergency room because of a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection--my fourth since late October), helped put my life into perspective.

I am much closer to going the way of my Coach Leach than I was 11 years ago when I turned fifty. That's okay. I am okay with that because that is part of life. Besides, I believe what the Bible and Church teach that one day Jesus will return, the judgment will occur and if we are blessed to make it to heaven, our bodies will one day be reunited with our souls and we will live eternally in His kingdom.

What isn't there to get excited about?

The point I am making here is that "life is short" -- even shorter for us old codgers which means we must live our lives right and with purpose. WE ALL HAVE A PURPOSE. God didn't allow for our birth to occur if there wasn't a purpose--which is to know, love, and serve Him.

Wow! Think about that. We are created because of love and all He wants in return is for us to love, know, and serve Him. Now someone may ask, "How do I serve a God that I cannot see?"

"What do you mean, can't see!?" I would say in response. "I see Him every day in my parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, neighbors, the blowing of the wind, the rising of the sun, the changing of the seasons, or when I put my underwear on in the morning!! He is everywhere!"

I believe when we aren't looking for someone or something, we don't see it. It isn't until we actively pursue that which we want to see that we really see it or them. That is why I like when the Na'vi on Avatar says, "I see you." It isn't just the physical you they see. They also see into you, that part of you that so few of us really see because we don't want to see or are too busy to see. That part of ourselves at our core makes us a beautiful sight to behold.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," right? You bet it is.

I think that is where God looks for us, in the same way, that the Na'vi do--at our core or deep into our hearts. Whenever I hear someone tell me, "Carlos, God sees your heart," they are absolutely correct. It isn't a perfect heart by any stretch of the imagination. I have done my share of sinning over my life journey that has blackened my heart. But, I have also run to the confessional at every opportunity available to me except for the 21 years I was not practicing my faith, asking the Lord's forgiveness for those sins.

Am I a saint? Nope! Am I trying to become a saint? You bet your halo I am. All of us are called to be saints and to share eternal glory with God in heaven. The hard part is getting there. There are too many distractions, attractions, fetishes, sins, etc., on earth that sometimes steal our joy or put us on the wrong path.

I was there myself. Maybe I still am. Goodness me, I hope not! While my death and judgment are always on my mind, I will not lose my joy, peace, or trust in the Divine Savior. He is my refuge and my rock. My hope is in Him and His mother. That's right, I said, His mother. Why not? He gave her to us through John at the foot of the cross. What better way to the son than through his mother?

The same is true for me. You might approach me and ask me to do something and I might say, "Sorry, too busy." However, if you went to my mother and asked her to intercede on your behalf and my mother came to me and said, "Sapito (that was her pet nickname for me), so and so came to me and asked me to ask you to do this for him. I think you should do it." Would I do it? Yes. Why? Because my mother asked me to. I would never refuse my mother.

Jesus is the same way. I truly believe that.

Coach Leach lived his life doing what he loved. I pray he will be with God in eternity. In light of how one day he was here and the next he isn't, we should do our best to live our lives with purpose and love. Do everything, even the smallest things for God and neighbor with complete and total selfless love. Don't let anger or selfishness or greed or the riches of this earth (which are temporary) steal your joy or prevent you from doing good for others.

God bless.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CMO 121: In The Fog But Not Lost.

CMO 112: Short Story: The Journal and the Esay: A short story about friendship, humility, and service.

CMO 103: "The Christmas Joshua Found Again"