CMO58: Lesson Learned

 


+ Hello Friend!

I greet you in the love and friendship of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No, I didn't suddenly get religion and am now attempting to convert you. That isn't to say that I am not praying for your conversion, because I am. However, I will leave the time and place to the Almighty.

No, I am not all of sudden holy, nor will you find a halo hovering over my noggin. At least not yet. But I am working toward becoming a saint.

Lord knows I have a long [emphasis on long], way to go!

I greeted you as I did at the opening of this post because I want to get into the habit of acknowledging that everything is because of God and has nothing to do with me save for one -- listen, obey, and act.

I have been trying to do that all my life, especially during the early 80s, mid-90s, and mid-2000s including 2014 and 2017.

Was I successful?

I would say, "definitely not," if it were left up to me. However, I will leave that question for the Lord to judge and decide because I don't see as God sees.

Here is what I do know: I need to do better. Plain and simple. That means I need to pray better, behave better, respond better, love better, etc.

How do I do that?

By acknowledging that I am nothing without God and that He requires nothing from me and yet all He wants to do is love me (and you). That's pretty narley if you ask me.

I also learned an important lesson on humility today, thanks to Dr. Tim Gray, President of the Augustine Institute. By the way, today is the feast day of St. Augustine. To conform me

"Pray for us most humble St. Augustine. Remember my name and take me under your charge. Help me through intercessory prayer to find my way.  That I may conform to God's will. Not mine! Amen."

What is the lesson on humility?

What I am. Who I am. All the skills, talent, and good [even maybe the bad by permissive will] come from and IS because of God. In other words, whatever it is that I am skilled at isn't because of me. It is because of God. Therefore ALL glory, praise, and thanksgiving must go to Him.

When someone says to me, "Carlos, you are an amazing reader!" and I know this to be true, my response should be, "Thank you. However, give all the glory to God because my ability to read well comes from Him."

In responding that way I acknowledge the skill I have received from God and praise Him for it. That is my understanding of humility.

I further recently learned that anger has no place in one's heart who loves God. Period. Justified, holy anger may be one thing, but anger anchored by pride has no place in one's heart.

Thank you, Lord, for the Sacrament of Reconciliation and to Fr. James Van Nguyen for hearing my confession Saturday evening (St. Patrick's, Sand Springs). I have learned my lesson and am ready to move forward following Your will.

Be blessed. Be at peace. Trust God.

Carlos Michael

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CMO 121: In The Fog But Not Lost.

CMO 112: Short Story: The Journal and the Esay: A short story about friendship, humility, and service.

CMO 103: "The Christmas Joshua Found Again"