CMO 54: Trusting God

Dear Journal,

Today’s Daily Guidepost 2022 entry is about trusting God. The reflector, Pam Kidd, makes a reference to Proverbs 29:25 – Fear of others becomes a snare, but the one who trusts in the Lord is safe. (2022, USCCB). Pam referenced the KJV bible. 

Pam contrasts the trust she had in her earthly father to that of trusting in God. She said her father had a unique way of teaching her about bravery, daring, and grit. She wrote: 

“Setting me up on a high bench, he’d say, ‘Jump to me.’ Tossing me off the end of the pier, he’d say, ‘Swim.’ I jumped. I swam. He always caught me, was always swimming beside me, and was always where I needed him to be.” (--Pam Kidd (01/18/22), Daily Guideposts 2022, p.19).

 The same is true with God, according to Kidd. “Our Father in heaven raises us to become our best, brave selves. ‘Jump,’ he says, on the edge of every challenge. And when we do, He is always there to catch us.” 

When was the last time God challenged us to jump and we trusted Him to know that He would catch us? 

REFLECTION QUESTION: “What exactly does it mean to trust in God and in what ways have I failed to trust Him completely? 

Dig deeper: Psalm 115:16; Mark 4:40; 2 Timothy 1:7

Called to Communion with Dr. David Anders

(EWTN.com) Jan. 14, 2022 

I was listening to Dr. Anders as I like to do each morning before getting ready when Dr. David’s response to a caller’s question gave me pause to think (see below). 

QUESTION: (Robert in Cincinnati)

It is my understanding that mortal sins keep a person from going to heaven. In the bible, where Jesus talks about separating the sheep from the goats, it is the lack of doing positive things that keeps someone from going to heaven. I am wondering about that. 

RESPONSE: (Dr. David Anders)

The Catholic position is that what unites us to God is charity and charity is a supernatural virtue, meaning that it is infused into us by God Himself through the Holy Spirit. It is possible for a person to have infused charity and to be physically passive and still go to heaven. I think the preeminent example of this would be St. Dismas—the thief on the cross next to Jesus. He is literally nailed to a cross. He isn’t handing out food at a soup kitchen, so he is not doing those types of good works. Now, I do think he had some good works about him. He admonished the sinner. He bore testimony to Christ. He honored Jesus. He made acts of humility and penance. Ultimately, he was saved because Christ forgave his sins, and he had that infused charity in his heart. 

Similarly, say a baby who leaves the baptismal font. A baby is not out teaching Sunday school or handing out food or clothing to the homeless. He (or she) is just a baby. If that child were to die, he (or she) would die with Sanctifying Grace and his or her soul would still be saved. 

Regarding your question about mortal sin versus performing good deeds, you ought to remember that you can commit a mortal sin by omission. Failure to perform certain good deeds that you have opportunity to do that are presented to you according to your state in life, and then turning away in hardness of heart, that can be mortally sinful. 

The lists we have in Matthew 25, I think are illustrative, they are not necessarily comprehensive and clearly, we have to be about the corporal and spiritual works of mercy in our lives as Catholics, but not in the sense that God is the great illustrious accountant with His ledger and He is sitting there marking everything off…” Okay, so Anders is supposed to do 376 acts of charity and he only did 374, so too bad for him.” It doesn’t work that way. 

REFLECTION QUESTION: How many times have I been presented with the opportunity to perform a good deed and did not because of the hardness of my heart? Have I confessed those sins to God?

Monday, Jan. 17, 2022 

It was a busy Monday as are most days. 

I am grateful that time was made for prayer, reading, and reflection. I feel that I am getting much from the 10 minutes I spend with the Lord each morning according to Matthew Kelly’s prayer process. This process can be found on page 41 of his book “I Heard God Laugh,” 2021, Blue Sparrow Publishing. 

Kelly recommends completing 7 steps in those 10 minutes spent with the Lord. They are: 

1.    Gratitude: Begin by thanking God in a personal dialogue for whatever you are most grateful for [today].

2.  Awareness: Revisit the times in the past twenty-four hours when you were and were not the-best-version-of-yourself. Talk to God about these situations and what you learned from them.

3.  Significant Moments: Identify something you experienced [today] and explore what God might be trying to say to you through that event [or person]. *Note: If you perform this process in the morning, I suggest you identify something you experienced from the previous day.

4.    Peace: Ask God to forgive you for any wrong you have committed [against yourself, another person, or Him] and to fill you with a deep and abiding peace.

5.    Freedom: Speak with God about how he is inviting you to change your life, so that you can experience the freedom to be the-best-version-of-yourself.

6.    Others: Lift up to God anyone you feel called to pray for today, asking God to bless and guide them.

7.    Finish: by praying the Our Father. 

Personally, I find Kelly’s list helpful, but cumbersome, for lack of a better word. I believe beginning with an opening prayer such as the “Our Father” and knowing in advance what I wish to speak with the Lord about allowing time afterward to cease speaking that I may focus on God speaking to me or reflecting on what Jesus may expect from me based on what I just shared, works best for me. I do like Kelly’s suggestion to ask forgiveness and lift others up in prayer for that particular day.

Dr. Malone 

Mr. Man had a 1:45 PM appointment with Dr. Malone. It was a quick appointment. He was in and out in no time flat. Dr. Malone offered some suggestions that may assist Mark with losing weight. I know Mark truly appreciated that as that has been on his mind as of late. Dr. Malone informed Mark that he will share his recommendations with Mark’s primary physician (who happens to be located in the same building.) Dr. Malone also assisted Mark with renewing his handicap placard. I can do with losing weight, too.

Dr. Sayler 

I have an appointment with my primary physician next Thursday. Without looking up my records, I believe the last time I saw Dr. Sayler was in February 2021—I think. The main reason for not seeing him regularly was due to lack of medical insurance. However, now that the Lord was kind enough to bless me recently with SoonerCare, a form of Medicaid offered through the state of Oklahoma, I may now discuss the following with my physician: leg circulation, colonoscopy, stool test and lab work to check my cholesterol level and for Diabetes. A man at my age (60) needs to stay on top of his health. I will continue to exercise and begin to take better care of what foods I put into my body. My goal is to lose 30 pounds with God’s help and my physician.

Like a good neighbor… 

I spend a great deal of time reminding anyone who will listen about the importance of being a good neighbor. I define our neighbor(s) as being anyone and everyone and not just the persons or families who live within close physical proximity of where we live. For me, to be a good neighbor means I help where I can. To fill a need if I see a need. To act with love seeking nothing for myself save for the friendship shared with my neighbor(s), while advancing the common good that will lift my neighbor(s) that they may pay forward what has been blessed to them. I prefer to remain anonymous or unnoticed, if possible, when in service to my neighbor(s). No one need know except God, my neighbors and me.

REFLECTION QUESTION: What does being a good neighbor mean to you?

“Dear Carlos…” 

Today’s question comes from J.B. of Covina, California. J.B. wants to know, “Dear Carlos, of all the holiday movies you enjoy watching each year, which is your favorite and why? 

MY RESPONSE: Wow, tough question. Since I am assuming you are limiting me to one specific movie, I would have to say, “Home Alone,” (1990) starring Macaulay Culkin. Not so much because of the story line inasmuch as the humor and most especially the theme music, The Sound of Christmas written by John Williams. I tend to hum that score in my mind at least once per day. It makes me feel good. Then again, so does the theme music to “Leave It to Beaver,” (1957-1963), except that the beaver is not a holiday movie. 

If you would like me to respond to your question, please drop me an email at icoffeebreakwithcarlosmichael@gmail.com. I will do my best to answer your question in this blog or on the show.

Closing Thought

We should remember to beg God’s mercy for our loved ones. This prayer may help. Lord Jesus, shower with mercy all the people that we love in a special way as we intercede for them and for the whole world. Lord, I especially remember my family members and close friends. (2022, Divine Mercy Daily, Daily reflections from the diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska, 01/18/22). 

Ciao!

--

Reference: 

Kidd, P. (01/18/22). January 18, 2022. Daily Guideposts 2022, p.19. Retrieved from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/proverbs/29#:~:text=25Fear%20of%20others%20becomes,in%20the%20LORD%20is%20safe.

N.A. (01/18/22). Proverbs 29:25. United States Catholic Conference of Bishops (USCCB). Retrieved from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/proverbs/29#:~:text=25Fear%20of%20others%20becomes,in%20the%20LORD%20is%20safe.

M. Kelly (2021). The Prayer Process. I Heard God Laugh. Blue Sparrow Publishing, P.41.

Anders, D. (01/14/22). Called To Communion. EWTN. Retrieved Jan. 18, 2022, from https://youtu.be/RNqtm3IV3cg




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CMO 121: In The Fog But Not Lost.

CMO 112: Short Story: The Journal and the Esay: A short story about friendship, humility, and service.

CMO 103: "The Christmas Joshua Found Again"